Thursday, November 26, 2015

Cheesy Ham and Chicken Casserole

A few weeks ago I was looking for a make ahead casserole so I could pop it in the oven after soccer practice. I made up a casserole that turned out better than I could have imagined. I didn't get any pictures for the blog but I knew I had to make it again ASAP to get on here!










12 slices quality sourdough bread

1 cup diced ham
1 small chicken breast, cooked and shredded

1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola
1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar

1 recipe(or can) condensed cream of celery soup (homemade is best!)
1 cup sour cream
1 small green bell pepper*, chopped
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion

* I used 3/4 cup frozen mixed color bell peppers because on pulling my ingredients out I discovered my green bell was bad




Slice the bread into 1 inch cubes and spread on a baking sheets. Bake in and oven set to its lowest setting until the outsides are crunchy but the insides are still soft. Time will depend on your heat setting. My lowest is 170 and it took about 30 minutes, turning them often,







When the bread is done grease a baking dish and spread half the bread, half the cheeses and the ham.











Mix the soup, sour cream, pepper and onion. Mix well.












Spread half of the soup mixture over the ham and bread.











Repeat the layer of bread, add chicken, cheese and soup mixture.

You can make it to this point and refrigerate it until you are ready to cook. Take it out 15 minutes before you want to bake it.







Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes until it is hot and bubbly.











No comments:

Post a Comment