Monday, June 8, 2015

Creamy Tilapia and Veggie Pasta Salad

I was going to make My "Not Your Typical Tuna Casserole" for dinner tonight and sub flaked tilapia
for the tuna but the weather has been unseasonably warm here (Western WA, pushing 80 in early June, or as we usually call it June-uary??!!) so I decided a cold pasta salad was in order. I had already made my tilapia up so I had to use that. I started putting some ingredients together and a recipe formed.





10 oz pasta, cooked, drained and rinsed to cool (whatever shape you prefer, I wanted to do homemade macaroni noodles but I just didn't get to it, so I used the only shape I had on hand, penne)

12 oz tilapia, cooked and flaked*

2 eggs, hard boiled, cooled and diced

6 oz plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 TB sour cream
1 TB dijon mustard
1 TB parsley
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and black pepper to taste

3 green onions, whites and greens, sliced
2 large stalks celery, diced
2 large carrots, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup green peas, (defrosted if using frozen)
1/4 medium sweet onion, diced

* For my tilapia I seasoned lightly with garlic powder and black pepper then steamed it. You could prepare it any way you like of course......
Alternatively you could use canned tuna fish  (2-6 oz cans, drained well) or I  was even toying with the idea of using the salmon I smoked yesterday. (scrapped that because I had already made the tilapia)






In a bowl combine the yogurt, mayo, sour cream, and seasonings, mix well.












In a large bowl(quite large so you can toss everything without a mess!) combine the vegetables, sauce, tilapia, pasta and eggs.

Toss together gently and pour into a serving bowl.







Cover and chill thoroughly.











No comments:

Post a Comment