Monday, June 2, 2014

Blue Moon Pork Tacos with Creamy Cilantro Orange Coleslaw

I was going to make Root Beer Pulled Pork but I forgot to pick up a Root Beer....I was looking for something with a lighter flavor than regular old BBQ pork so I decided to look around for something orange. Then I remembered the yummy flavor of Blue Moon with Orange and I ran with it!







2-3lb lb pork roast
1 Blue Moon Belgian White Ale
1 cup fresh squeeze Orange Juice
1 medium sweet onion, sliced into rings
2 cloves garlic, minced
pepper to taste

Place the onion rings and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker, place pork roast on top, pour in beer and OJ and sprinkle with pepper.

Cook on low 5-6 hours(slow cooker times will vary greatly, this is where a meat thermometer is really a good thing to have on hand).










When it is cooked to 200 degrees(this may seem "overcooked" but it really helps it shred up nicely) , remove it from the slow cooker and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Then shred well with 2 forks, by hand or my personal preference is in my kitchenaid. Return shredded pork to slow cooker and allow to heat for 30 minutes more.






While it is cooking whip up the slaw dressing so the flavors have time to mingle.

Cilantro Orange Slaw:
3 cups of your favorite slaw mix(bagged or homemade, up to you, I found some organic broccoli slaw mix so I decided to do that)
sliced orange sections to taste

Dressing:
6 oz plain nonfat yogurt(I prefer Greek but you can use regular if you like)
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
2 TB apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 TB orange zest


In a bowl combine dressing ingredients, allow flavors to mingle for at least 2 hours.










Toss with the slaw mix and oranges and set aside.












Taco Shells(hard or soft, whatever you like)


Stuff shells with the pork and top with the slaw and any other toppings you might enjoy(in my case, fresh jalapenos!) and chow down!








No comments:

Post a Comment