Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Gluten Free Savory Waffles

I think it is safe to say I have a slight obsession with savory waffle sandwiches....they are just so good...and an easy alternative to gluten free bread for us! Although we have found a GF bread recipe that works well for us, these are perfect for last minute bread or buns for sandwiches and burgers.  I love Polenta based waffles for my sandwiches. It give them a nice sturdy crunch. They can be used for Breakfast with Eggs and Canadian Bacon or a Sausage patty,  Lunch(they are great cold!) with sliced deli meats or Dinner with a Burger Patty or Hot Sandwich like French Dips, I even made them into individual pizzas! They freeze well and can be quickly heated in the toaster(watch carefully though because most of the time the recipes include cheese, over heat and it might melt too much and drip)


I thought I would put the general recipe on here to link back to when I make specific sandwiches with add in instructions.

Waffles:
1 cup water
1/2 cup polenta(coarse cornmeal works fine too)
1/4 cup butter
1 cup milk
1 egg

2/3 cup sorghum flour*
1/4 cup potato starch*
3 TB tapioca starch*
1/4 tsp xanthan gum*
1 tsp baking powder

OR sub the starred ingredients with 1 cup all purpose flour



Add-Ins flavors will vary by sandwich/burger:
This is my basic seasoning but it can be adjusted per your tastes:
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder**
1/2 tsp smoked paprika(regular is fine too, I just love smoked)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp onion powder**
** if you have an extra moment, saute up a clove of minced garlic and a little onion with a touch of oil until fragrant and tender to add to it in place of the powders!

Generally I include a cheese, an herb and an "extra" in my recipes.
1/2- 3/4 cup cheese, shredded
2 TB fresh or 1 TB dried Herbs(oregano, parsley, cilantro)
1/3-1/2 cup "extra" ingredient (green chilies, roasted red peppers, pepperoni, bacon, chopped spinach)


In a pot heat water to boiling, add polenta and stir vigorously until thick. 









Add butter, reduce heat and stir until melted. 









Remove from heat and add milk. Set aside to cool slightly then add in egg and beat well.









 In another bowl combine the flour mixtures and seasonings. 









Carefully mix the wet ingredients into the dry.










 Gently fold in the add ins. This time I am making Pizza ones so I used chopped pepperoni, oregano and mozzarella cheese.









Cook according to your waffle maker instructions. I tend to cook them a little longer than the recommended time to give it a little extra crunch. 


Use them as you see fit!!!Burgers, Cold, Sandwiches, Hot Sandwiches, Breakfast Sandwiches, Mini Pizzas.......CREATE!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment