Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Plantain And Black Bean Enchiladas with Tomatillo Salsa Verde

I have always wanted to use plantains but never really got around to it. I was bound and determined to do it this week and I could not be happier with the results!







3 ripe(yellow/brown with black spots) Plantains
2 cups prepared black beans( approx 1 can drained and rinsed)
1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
1 smallish red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

16 corn tortillas
Colby or Pepper Jack Cheese to taste

1 lb tomatillos, husked and cored
1 1/2 cups water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 tsp cumin
1/2 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup cilantro
1 TB dried oregano
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste

Peel and slice two of the plantains. (I had anticipated making 3 mashed and 1 chopped, but 2 and 1 was more than enough.)
In a large pot bring 1 quart of water to a boil with 1 tsp salt. Add chopped plantains and simmer for 15 minutes until they are very tender.





Drain (reserve liquid) and mash adding reserved liquid if they are too stiff to mix easily









While the plantains are cooking peel and coarsely chop the remaining one. Add in black beans, corn, pepper and garlic. When the mashed plantains are ready mix those in well too.









Tomatillo Salsa:
For some reason I didnt take 1 picture of the tomatillo salsa process, brain fart....

 Place all ingredients in a large pan and bring to a boil. Simmer until the tomatillos are very soft and a nice yellow green color.
Transfer contents to a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt to taste.


Place 1/2 cup of the salsa in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Spread to edges.



Heat your tortillas and add a few TB of the plantain mixture and a small amount of cheese, roll and place seam side down in the pan. Continue until all the filling and tortillas are used.










Top with remaining tomatillo salsa and more cheese.


I made it to this point and stuck it in the fridge until I was ready to bake it. I had a drama club dress rehearsal to attend with my kids tonight so I got to utilize my Delay Bake feature on my oven! I just stuck it in the oven before we left and my timer got my oven on and baked it right before we got home!

If you want to pre-make, make sure you take it out of the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to baking!












Cover with foil and bake in a 375º oven for 30 minutes, remove cover and cook 15 minutes more.









Allow to stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with sour cream and some jalapeno sauce if you like!













No comments:

Post a Comment