Thursday, February 28, 2013

Copycat Tournament of Kings Dragon's Blood Soup

My husband and I spent a long weekend in Vegas recently and while there we took in the Tournament of Kings Show at Excalibur Hotel.....(If you are going I highly recommend this show!!!)
Dinner is served during the show and with it came some extremely tasty Dragon's Blood Soup (tomato soup). I knew I needed to find this and make it! I came across several copycat recipes some seemed so plain Jane and others seemed completely off....I decided to have a crack at it and combined a few ideas......I think it comes pretty close!





8 medium roma tomatoes, cored , quartered and de-seeded
1 medium onion, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into chunks
3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
2 TB fresh sweet basil (2 tsp dried)
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp paprika
sea salt and pepper to taste





Foil line and oil a baking pan(rimmed!) with olive oil and preheat oven to 400

Place tomatoes, skin side down on one half of the pan, the  onions, peppers and garlic  on the other, drizzle with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.









Bake for about 45 minutes until the onion begins to caramelize(check to make sure the onions arent getting over brown, turn gently as needed....when the garlic is golden and soft you can pull them out.)







When the veggies are done, peel the garlic and pour all the veggies and add the basil into a blender or food processor(you can do this with a hand blender in a big bowl if you have one)

Blend veggies well adding the broth and processing until very smooth.





Pour into a deep pan, add the half and half, baking soda and paprika, stir and heat through adding salt and pepper as desired.


Serve hot with a sprinkling of dried basil and pepper







11 comments:

  1. Half and half coffee creamer? I'm going to try making this. But I'm a beginner cook. Such a beginner that the only thing I know how to make is eggs and beans lol. A video teaching how to make this will be nice But I'll try to follow this as best as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep , Half and Half coffee creamer, just not flavored kind! I would love to do videos but I just dont have the equipment for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well thank you. I'll try it tomorrow!

      Delete
    2. How many people does this amount feed?

      Delete
    3. I would say it averages about 6-8 servings depending on your portion sizes.

      Delete
    4. How much baking soda? You didn't specify

      Delete
    5. Oh my. I'm blind. Haha. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I made it about half a week ago, it was really good even though I did some steps in the wrong order and whatnot but it ended up being tasty. And extra basil leaves gave it more flavor. But after everyone got some I accidentally left it on the stove and it over heated. Now it's too salty haha

    ReplyDelete