Friday, April 13, 2012

Gluten Free "Nutri-Grain" Bars

My son loves those fruit filled bars but since going gluten free we haven't found a sub he really loves so we set out to find something we can whip up for him. I found this recipe on Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom but when I looked at the GF Betty Crocker cake it seemed so little for nearly $5....I figured I could come up with my own mix.
The filling possibilities are so vast! I can't wait to try more!




1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
3 TB ground flax
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups gluten free oats
3/4 cup butter, melted(I did coconut oil on one batch, that is delicious!)
1/2 cup milk("regular", soy, almond, coconut, whatever you like)
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups fruit preserves, jam, apple or pumpkin butter-so many possibilities!
water to thin the preserves if needed


Grease a 9 x 13 pan and preheat oven to 375

Combine rice flour through oats. Mix well.
(I put my oats in the food processor for just a bit first, my son doesn't care for the larger chunks of oat.)






Then stir in melted butter, milk and vanilla. Mix well until fully combined.










Spread a little over half the mixture into the bottom of the pan, pressing in for an even layer.








Spread the preserves over that(If your preserves are thick, you can add a TB or 2 of water to make it easier to spread)










Press remaining mixture over the preserves,











Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.











Cool completely before cutting. I got 14 good sized bars.




No comments:

Post a Comment