Friday, July 8, 2011

Crock Pot Strawberry Cupcakes


My oven is waiting on repair for a malfunctioning control panel but I wanted to make some cupcakes for a mini bday party. I decided to put them in the crock pot with my silicone baking cups and I got some pretty good results! Plus I have been working on a strawberry cake recipe without gelatin or cake mixes so I decided to put  it to the test. Of course you can bake this in the oven or double the recipe to make a cake. This made 12 cupcakes. They dont rise as high in the slow cooker but they are mighty tasty!






1/4 cup butter
3/4 cups sugar
1 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 TB  sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup pureed strawberries
1 tsp lemon zest


Cream butter and sugar and add egg. Beat for 1 minute on high. Stir in vanilla and sour cream.












In a bowl combine flour, salt, soda. Mix well and add into butter mixture Beat for 1 minute on medium speed.










Mix in strawberries and lemon zest stirring until combined.












Lightly grease silicone baking cups and fill them slightly over half full.
Place in a layer on the bottom of the crock pot and pour in water to reach about 1/3 the way up the cups.







You can add a second "layer" by fitting in a small rack(a steamer rack that is slightly larger than the bottom of your crock pot works well) over the bottom layer or fashion a basket out of heavy duty foil. Poke a few holes in the foil to allow the steam through.







Set your crock pot to high and allow to cook for 3 hours until a toothpick comes out clean. Keep in mind these will NOT rise as high as normal cupcakes.


Cool completely before frosting

Next time I think I will try them in my roaster pan as I can have them in a single layer and have a little better control of the heat.


Frost as desired:
I suggest a very mild lemony frosting...

3 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 TB butter
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp lemon zest
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
milk to thin

Beat together cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, zest and vanilla extract. Beat in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Thin with milk to desired consistency if needed.









Scoop it into a ziplock bag and cut off a corner and frost.











Happy Birthday to my mom and my little buddy Ian!!
check out my submission at the Sweet as Sugar Cookies blog!

1 comment:

  1. What a cool idea to make them in a crock pot. So much better on those hot days when you don't want to turn on the oven. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till tomorrow night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cupcakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete