Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Slow Cooker Rhubarb Chicken

My neighbor gave me some Rhubarb from her garden. Most of the rhubarb recipes I came across are for dessert dishes. We have had several birthdays in the past few weeks so we are pretty burnt out on sweets so I went looking for a dinner dish to use it in. Nothing seemed just right so this is what I went with. I tried to keep it very simple for the first run as to not overpower the rhubarb flavor.







2 good sized stalks rhubarb, diced
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar, more or less to taste
1 small onion
1 TB cider vinegar


Place ingredients  in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until rhubarb is very tender. (about 10 minutes or so)










Pour into a blender or a food processor and process until smooth. Return to pan and simmer a few minutes more to thicken. Taste and adjust your sugar and add some salt if you like. I kept it very simple this time around.








Place 4- 6 chicken breasts in a slow cooker and pour sauce over the top.
Cook on low 4-6 hours until chicken is done.










Remove chicken and cover and keep warm.
Dissolve 1 TB cornstarch in 2 TB cold water  and add to sauce. Put the cooker up to high and stir well. Allow to cook and thicken for 10 minutes.











Top the chicken with a few chopped green onions and a scoop of sauce.
I served with brown rice cooked in chicken broth with fresh parsley and a side of steamed carrots(also topped with the rhubarb sauce!)



I think this would be FANTASTIC with a few sliced strawberries added into the rhubarb sauce too! It would give it a great tangy flavor.




2 comments:

  1. Rhubarb and the slow cooker - magic. Please drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are happy with me linking to this on my blog. Cheers

    ReplyDelete