Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brandy Flamed Peppercorn Steaks

Hubby's Bday Meal request! I found it on Allrecipes and it was so fantastic I just had to share it here, I changed it only very slightly from the original recipe, and I made 3 steaks because my husbands best friend was coming to dinner too. Served with a side of my yummy Pepper Jack Cheese Knots and fresh Green Beans. (I had wanted to do Asparagus but the store I went to was $4.99 lb and it looked pretty pitiful. I cant WAIT until my garden starts producing!)







8 oz Sirloin Steaks
1/4 cup crushed peppercorns
1 TB lemon pepper
1 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup butter
3 cloves garlic, mashed and minced
3/4 cup red wine

1/3 cup brandy
1 large shallot, minced
1/2 cup heavy cream

1/3 cup chopped green onions




Press Crushed Peppercorns into steaks evenly(you can go less if you like) Sprinkle with lemon pepper and salt.










In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.











Add wine and cook for 1 minute more.













Arrange steaks in the pan and cook 4-6 minutes per side(slightly UNDER desired doneness)
Reduce Heat to low.









Make sure you have OVERHEAD room for the next step as alcohol burn can be slightly unpredictable.
Pour Brandy over the steaks and CAREFULLY hold a lit match to it.  Allow the flame to burn off.










Now here is where I make it just a little different from the original recipe. I like a little char on my steak so I remove the steaks from the pan after the burn off and transfer them to a pre-heated(medium high) griddle pan(or broiler or even an outdoor grill ) and cook them for 1-2 minutes on each side so you get a nice char to it. This is why I have them slightly under done in the above step.







While the steaks are finishing up. Add Shallots and Cream to the wine sauce. Cook and stir until hot.










Place Steaks on plate, sprinkle with green onions and top with sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment