Saturday, April 30, 2011

Easy White Bean Mulligatawny Soup

My husband loves Mulligatawny but it was at my 7 year olds request I make it today. Since I hadn't made it in a long time I decided to create my own recipe!






1 qt veggie or chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes(or about 1.5 cups fresh diced)
1 large apple, cored and chopped(peels or not is up to you)
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery(preferably with some leaves) chopped
1/2 cup loosely packed raisins
1/2 med onion, chopped
1/3 cup brown rice
1 TB dried parsley
2 tsp curry powder( mild or hot is up to you, I use mild)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 TB lemon juice

1.5 cups cooked white beans (approx 1 can) drained and rinsed

Combine everything but the beans in a large pot. Cover, Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes and add beans. Simmer for 15 minutes more , stirring occasionally until the rice is tender.





Excellent with shredded chicken or turkey in place of the white beans! Freezes well too! I cool it and pour it into single servings in ziplock bags, that way Troy can pull one out for work. Defrosts overnight in the fridge. Microwave at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment