Sunday, August 29, 2010

Polish Sausage Hot Dog Pie

Last night I had a major headache, Troy was at a friends house watching a UFC fight and I needed to feed the kids. The dinner than I had planned was too much for just the kids so I went in search of an easy kid meal....
I never buy hot dogs and I was out of my homemade ones, but I remembered some Polish Sausage Links I had in the freezer, left over from a BBQ, so I went in search of something to use those in. I remembered a recipe for Hot Dog Pie that my friend Bel posted in a small group I am in on Cafemom. I went looking for it and it sounded PERFECT. I did not have all the ingredients, so I decided to play with it and what came out was DELICIOUS!!!


Polish Sausage Filling:
4 Polish Sausage Links( or 6 regular hot dogs, or 1/2-16 oz polish sausage "ring") chopped into bite sizes
1 can condensed tomato soup, undiluted (** for homemade recipe)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can green beans, drained( FRESH is better if you can get them, about 1.5 cups)


Breading Batter:
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1  cup white flour
1 TB baking powder
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

Other ingredients:
1/2 c shredded mozzarella
oregano to taste

preheat oven to 350

Combine all the filling ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat,bring to boil and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes

Mix all batter ingredients in a mixer until well combined.


Place 1/2 the dough batter in a well greased casserole dish(I used an 8 x 11.5)
Spread the polish sausage filling over the layer of batter
Sprinkle about 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese over the filling and top with remaining batter

Sprinkle with oregano
Pop it in the oven uncovered and bake for 30-40 minutes.













** Homemade Condensed Tomato Soup
2 TB flour
1.5 TB butter
1.5 cups tomato juice
seasonings to taste, basil, oregano, garlic, onion powder, parsley

in a small sauce pan melt butter and make a paste with the flour, slowly add tomato juice and heat over medium heat until thickened...season to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment